Friday, August 11, 2023

Carpe Diem

Started the day baking muffins to take to work (banana apple mocha).  Finished my delivery shift before the stroke of noon. It was a short run, but for which I am grateful.  It allowed me to swing by a friend's place and borrow his power hose.  I was home by half past noon, so I chucked my fluoros into the washer, as I sat to lunch.  

Then I set an alarm for 1615H to make sure I get to my next job at 5pm.  I plan to make a good impression.  I put on some mambo music, hung up my fluoros and got outside to clean my roof gutters while I still had the momentum.   Something I've been planning to do for ages but has now become urgent -since the real estate inspection politely asked me to get it done.  As well as clean the outside of cobwebs.  Hence the loan of the power hose.

It took a bit of creative engineering to relocate the ladder along the length of the gutters, with the ground uneven, overgrown, and narrow.  Which reminds me I need to use the mower soon too. On occasion my recollection of destination fucked videos saved me from taking foolish risks, something in my head clicks and I can see the video of me heading into disaster.  This is when I put on my safety supervisor hat and chide myself into doing better and eliminate, avoid, or mitigate the risks.  Operation complete, no injuries to report, just had enough time to pack up the ladder and get changed for my first kitchen shift since 2021.

I arrived at the restaurant 5 minutes early, met the owners and got settled in.  We did 35 covers and at no point was I stressed, I didn't even get a hint of imposter syndrome.  This was just like being an agency chef all over again: new kitchen, new menu, get to work.

Today is one of those satisfying days, yes I had it seized!

No comments:

Post a Comment